Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Secret Garden

Yeah....Right. So far, the lamb is wise, as are all the rabbits and deer and a raccoon couple who I'm sure will be bringing their babies soon.
Let the games begin!

So far, the score is Them-3, Us 0. The tomatillas were the first casualties...all three stripped of leaves...and just for good measure...the stalk of one was whacked at ground level.

Grrrrrrrr!

I'm thinking the rabbits scored that round. I saw no deer tracks...the gate was closed to the lamb and I just don't think the raccoons and skunks have such herbivorous tastes.

The Man wanted to grow corn...so we planted sweet corn. Boy, the raccoons are going to love that. Apparently they are not that easy to thwart either. I've read some books, searched online and called up Mom and my best friend. Suggestions range from stout, Gulag style fencing, to clumps of hair in panty hose and even having The Man going out and 'marking his territory' every night. I can't wait to share that suggestion with him. Maybe I'll turn the boys loose on it too!

I'm definitely getting a sling shot. I've a personal score to settle with the raccoons.

Now, I don't mind if they come sniffing around, and I've even toyed with the idea of putting some treats out for them now and again...but the little buggers have ticked me off. They come traipsing through the yard in the middle of the night, taking extra care to alarm the dog...which alarms me, or bumping and thumping different parts of the house...which also alarms me.

So the other night...bump, bump, bump, bump, THUMP! This is 2am...and now I'm wide awake. I turn on the light and peak outside. The little buggers are serving themselves a light refreshment from the free bar otherwise known as the rain barrel. I'm OK with that, and even enjoy watching them tool across the yard and up over the fence.

The problem....the one got down the other side of the fence...and being mistress of my house and maybe even the yard I told him/her, "Go on. Git!" More because it felt the thing to do than any other reason.
The little bugger didn't listen...so I stepped it up a notch and stomped my foot. This action from me generally sends my dog, cat and kids running and garners grave concern and rapt attention from The Man. Not so the coon. Honery little punk came at me!!!!!!!

"Well I'll be......You little.....!"

He was not impressed an continued to look at me like, "You got a problem lady?"(I'm imagining a Bronx accent here.)

I threw a piece of wood at him...and he sloooowwwwwllllyyyy ambled away, in a rather unconcerned manner.
Sighhhhh.

How is that I've backed a three hundred pound drunk Bubba out of a bar with only my finger in his chest and a glare in my eye...yet a tiny little coon had no fear at all? Guess I'm loosing my touch.

So I'm getting a sling shot.

I'm sure some of you are screaming in protest and now don't think highly of me at all...but a girl has a right to defend her own turf. Do you think a Mama coon would politely invite me in her den(?), should I come snooping around? Nope...she'd come at me screaming and hissing with claws flying and teeth gnashing; and she'd have the right of it...me not respecting her territory. Turn about is fair play...and I do have my 'cubs' to think about.

It's not that I want them to go away completely...they are neat to watch, and I'd love a picture or two to share...but I rather think wild things should be wild...confrontational bothers me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikara!

You have such a gift for telling a good (and funny) story! I enjoy your writing so much and I'm glad I stopped by!

Blessings, my sister,
Prairie Star

Peaceful/Paisible said...

I wish I could be with you, watching all the chidren and animals...
love from Peaceful